Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Self-Directed Learner

On Friday, Hannah was honored as a Student of the Month. Her teacher nominated her as a Self-Directed Learner.

Emma and I were able to come eat lunch with Hannah and watch her get her certificate from her principal, Mr. Terry. Emma was so excited she couldn't eat a bite of lunch. We all got to sit at a special table in the lunchroom with fun decorations. Hannah got her picture up on the screen in the lunchroom (sorry for the poor picture).

She got to wear a special badge with a purple ribbon attached.

Emma was sad to say bye to Hannah when lunch was over and it was time for recess. Emma tried to chase after Hannah to go play, but I redirected her in the direction of the parking lot. Once we were in the car driving home, Emma was able to calm down enough to eat her lunch.

Hannah was very proud of her award. The other night, when I was putting her to bed, I told her how proud I was of her. "You're such a smart girl, a good big sister, and so kind," I told her. She nodded her head and said, "And self-directed?"

2 comments:

Cailean said...

CONGRATS to her! What a great idea for a school to do and what a great thing for her to feel accomplished!!

Cortney Teeples said...

She's a girl after my own heart. :)