Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Long Time No Posts...

So between a vacation, having family in town for two and half weeks, and 95 degree plus weather (I stop functioning when it gets over about 87 - that's why I live in Seattle), I haven't found time to update the blog. Trust me, it's not the only thing I've let slide. It's amazing how gross carpet can get when it hasn't been vacuumed in 3 weeks and you have 3+ children and twice that many adults running around on it. Yuck. I've been feeling guilty about my lack of attention to cleaning, blogging, etc. I was encouraged today, however, when I found this post by one of my favorite bloggers:

http://www.biblicalwomanhoodonline.com/2008/08/having-it-all-together-i-think-not.html

I liked Crystal's post because I can relate to her feelings of wanting to do so much and sometimes being able to accomplish very little. Oftentimes, I feel like I'm accomplishing very little because I'm so busy just feeding and maintaining the relative happiness and cleanliness of 3 little girls. During the times when I feel overwhelmed by what needs to be cleaned, folded, washed, or swept, I can get down on myself for not doing EVERYTHING well. Not keeping everything perfect.

Like Crystal, it has been hard for me to come to terms with the reality that this is a season of my life when some things I'd like to do have to be put aside while I focus on the things I need to do. There is always going to be a Cheerio or two under the kitchen table needing to be swept. That same kitchen table will usually have a smudge of yogurt or peanut butter needing to be wiped up. Some toy - ok, I'll be realistic - MOST of the toys will be left out and need to be put away. The ironing pile may never be conquered and I can't forsee a day when there isn't any dirty laundry that needs to be washed or clean laundry that needs folding. This is simply my reality and I'm learning to be okay with it.

I'm trying to include my girls in some of these homemaking tasks in an effort to spend more time with them while teaching them responsibility and the importance of work. Hopefully, they're having some fun along the way too. I am. For example, yesterday morning, Hannah, Emma, and I dumped five loads of laundry on my bed, turned on the Olympic's Women's volleyball match and folded while we watched the game. While folding, we talked about how to play volleyball and we got very excited about all the great blocks and spikes. The laundry got folded and we had fun. Today, they asked if we could watch more volleyball! Maybe some of you have been able to find ways to get chores done with your kids and have fun together at the same time. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

So, I will be posting more pictures on here soon, but not today. I've got some vacuuming to do.

7 comments:

Tara said...

Amen, Sister!!!

rowdystroudy said...

ooohh..what a perfect post! I let a friend use my bathroom yesterday when it was seriously..gross. I'm talking "sticky saltwater taffy on the back of my toilet" gross! But instead of being really embarrassed, I said, "well..it's just my life right now." She can think what she wants to think, but truly--she knows what's going on and I'm sure loves me anyway. This may sound like no big deal--but it is HUGE for me to have reached this point of having a dirty bathroom and not stressing since I can't get it cleaned right away.
wow--long post...haha!.

Back to your question, I really like making cleaning into a game. Like, pick up "pink" items or using the alphabet by picking up what starts with "a". It makes it so much more fun, and I can de-stress about trying to get her to clean her room.

The Nits said...

SOOOOOO True! I can work for hours and accomplish nothing noteworthy plus I cry alot more. What is up with that?!?!? Samantha

Kathy said...

Life is full of transitions. Even at ummm almost 50 life is still transitioning. I always had this thought while my kids were growing up "once we get through this" life will be better. Well life is always better we just have to appreciate what that is at the time. So for now, you have a gross house but the kids are happy and taken care of. There is none of us that can do it all, ever!! Take pride in what you can and did do today and let tomorrow be another day. My mom's favorite motto
"this too shall pass". Love ya!

Hilary said...

It's very nice to hear from you again, and your message is a good one! It's important for all of us to remember that we're not alone in our "overwhelmness" (is that a word?) in life. I have only two kids and often feel swamped. If the blogging slides, I totally understand; but do me a favor and try and keep some cute pics of those girls of yours coming! :)

Jen O said...

I hear you! Why is guilt such a natural emotion for moms? Seth is pretty little still, but he's understanding clean-up time more and more. He helps put the silverware in the dishwasher and puts stuff in the garbage (I have to check and make sure it's just garbage he's putting in there!). I can tell by looking at your family that they are loved, and if anything, you can check THAT off your list for the day. :-)

theamazingjohnsons said...

I love this post, Laura. It is always nice to be reminded that there are seasons for everything.