Sunday, October 26, 2008

Meanest Mom

Someday, when my children are teenagers, they may suggest I'm the meanest Mom. This picture may be used as evidence:Here's my defense: I haven't had a full night's sleep in months. I'm tired. Mostly, I'm tired of getting up every two hours with a baby who shouldn't be getting up that often and certainly shouldn't need to eat that often. So I'm imposing the tough love/cry it out approach to sleeping. I've had very little success so far, but my desire for sleep keeps me trying. Tonight, I put a very tired Miriam in her crib. She'd been recently fed, diapered, and swaddled. She'd only slept one hour all day (her choice, not mine) so she was probably over tired. Once I left her, she cried which is normal. She got pretty upset at one point, but I was dealing with a Hannah and Emma wrestling match downstairs at the time, so I didn't go check on Miriam. By the time I'd separated Hannah and Emma and cleaned up the Halloween candy that they'd thrown all over the family room like it was confetti, I noticed Miriam was quiet. Good. Once I'd started Hannah and Emma on getting ready for bed, I peeked into Miriam's room to check on her. The picture above is what I saw. Apparently, Miriam's more urgent cries started when she realized her arm was stuck in the crib's bars. Hmmm... I guess it wasn't that uncomfortable because she ended up falling asleep that way. Right? Right. And, after I took the picture, I did move her back to her normal sleeping position. This, of course woke her up and more crying ensued. Fortunately, she fell asleep more quickly this time. Hopefully, all her limbs are in the crib this time.

7 comments:

paulandcherisvreeken said...

Haha that's great!!! We still don't have Riann in a real crib and I'm so worried about this when we make the transition. I did the same thing with her today (just letting her cry) and she dug herself into the corner of the bed almost under the mattress of the day crib. It's a good thing it's only as thick as cardboard.

They are a joy most of the time but those few moments of struggle seem to win out most days!!! I hope you guys are great!!! I can't wait to see you at Christmas!!!

Ashlee said...

We had the same thing happen with Kimber when she was about the same age. Only it was her leg. and it was REALLY REALLY REALLY stuck. We were watching a movie and didn't realize she was still crying. Poor baby.

theamazingjohnsons said...

If you are a mean mom then so am I. I always have to resort to the cry it out method. None of my babies like to sleep unless I do that. I hope you get to start sleeping all night soon!

Jen O said...

Sorry you're so beat! I think sleep training is one of the hardest parts about being a baby mama. You're not being mean...everyone knows that a well rested mama is a happy mama. ;-)

The Nits said...

Your girls are getting so big and so cute! I've walked in on several odd crib-bar positions, it does tug at the heart strings a bit. -Samantha

Shanna said...

Hey Laura--I can totally relate. I am always so tired with my babies, because they don't sleep. Things get lots better after I let them cry it out--except then they get sick or a tooth is coming in and once again they're up. It can be exhausting! Good luck. Your girls are so cute. I enjoy be able to read what you guys are up too.

Julie said...

Don't give up on the cry-it-out sleep training! It works eventually, right? My third baby also was a bad sleeper and we had to let him cry it out a lot. Some day you'll get more sleep - hang in there!