Sunday, December 21, 2008

Oh Birthday Tree, Oh Birthday Tree . . .

In an effort to keep Emma's birthday special and to prevent it from getting lumped in with Christmas, we have always purchased our tree after her birthday party. This year, we got the tree before the party. (I'll post more about that later.) Emma was very excited about the tree, but I still had Mom guilt about it. So, in an effort to make the tree fit in with the birthday decor, we created the birthday tree. Next year I might add lights to make it more fun and sparkly.
We had a lot of family come over for Emma's party. Here's my sister and and her boyfriend Teddy with my girls and their cousin Gracie. Gracie's family (Ryan's sister Kristin and her husband Antonio) is in town from Texas for Christmas.
I love Hannah's expression as Emma opened up this gift.
Thanks for the cute jeans Auntie Julie and Uncle Dave! (And thanks for the fab flower hair clippy from Auntie Staci and Uncle Greggy!)
As requested, the Rainbow Fish Cake.


Me lighting the candles, Greg snapping pictures of the festivities.

Grandma Kane (my maternal grandmother) and Grandma Vreeken (Ryan's maternal grandmother) watching Emma blow out the candles.

Emma, Hannah, and Gracie eating their cake and ice cream. Or, the icing off the cake in Emma's case.
Thanks to all our family who came and made Emma's celebration extra special!


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Kristen said...

That cake is totally awesome! And I love the birthday tree. What a cute idea.

Cailean said...

Fun! Cute! That's all so great :) I love the cake! So colorful. It's so nice to be living by grandparents and family to visit :)

HMichaelsen said...

I love the birthday tree! Looks like you've had a lot of fun even though you've been cooped up!

Betsy said...

That cake is awesome!

Christy said...

I found your blog from a "frugal blog", but I just had to stop tell you how cute that cake is. I may have to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing!

paulandcherisvreeken said...

Please tell me how you do these cakes!!! They are AMAZING!!!!